Looking for the first step in working with scuba as a career? Your adventure into the professional levels of recreational scuba diving begins with the PADI Divemaster program. Working closely with a PADI Instructor, in this program you expand your dive knowledge and hone your skills to the professional level. PADI Divemaster training develops your leadership abilities, qualifying you to supervise dive activities and assist instructors with student divers. PADI Divemaster is the prerequisite certification for both the PADI Assistant Instructor and PADI Open Water Scuba Instructor certifications.
What You LearnDuring the PADI Divemaster program, you learn dive leadership skills through both classroom and independent study. You complete water skills and stamina exercises, as well as training exercises that stretch your ability to organize and solve problems as well as help others improve their scuba. You put this knowledge into action through a structured internship or series of practical training exercises.
After becoming certified as a PADI Divemaster you will be authorized to:
What You Can Teach
- Supervise both training and non-training-related activities by planning, organizing and directing dives
- Assist a PADI Instructor during the training sessions for any PADI Diver course
- Conduct the PADI Skin Diver course and PADI Discover Snorkeling program
- Conduct the PADI Discover Local Diving experience
- Conduct the PADI Scuba Review program
- If qualified as a Discover Scuba Diving Leader, independently conduct the PADI Discover Scuba Diving program.
- Earn the PADI Digital Underwater Photographer Specialty Instructor rating to be able to teach the PADI Digital Underwater Photographer specialty.
- Independently guide Open Water Diver course students on the tour portion of Open Water Diver course Training Dives 2, 3 and 4 at a ratio of two student divers per certified divemaster.
- Accompany Open Water Diver students under the indirect supervision of a PADI Instructor during:
- surface swims to and from the entry/exit point and during navigational exercises
- when the instructor conducts a skill, such as an ascent or descent, a Divemaster can remain with other student divers (with an individual student or buddy team)
- Accompany student divers during Adventure Dives or Specialty training dives under the indirect supervision of a PADI Instructor.
- Conduct the PADI Seal Team Skin Diver Specialist AquaMission
- Conduct subsequent dives under an instructor’s indirect supervision for Discover Scuba Diving participants after participants have satisfactorily completed the first dive with a PADI Instructor.
- Teach Emergency First Response courses after successfully completing an Emergency First Response Instructor course.
The Scuba Gear You Use
- You use all the basic scuba equipment and some scuba accessories such as a dive slate, dive knife, compass, dive watch, etc.
- It is highly recommended that you own all of your own scuba equipment, as familiarity with personal gear improves general scuba diving skills. You can find most everything at Down Under Dive Shop.
The Learning Materials You NeedThe PADI Divemaster crewpak includes everything you’ll need to start the PADI Divemaster program. The complete set of materials includes:
- The Encyclopedia of Recreational Diving - a comprehensive overview of diving physics, physiology, and equipment.
- Divemaster slates
- PADI Divemaster Manual
- CD-ROM with instructor outlines for Divemaster-conducted programs (exclusive item not available for purchase separately)
You also have the option to take Divemaster Online and purchase the Divemaster eLearning Crew-Pak.
To purchase Crew-Paks, contact us at Down Under Dive Shop.
For Divemaster Online, you can sign up today.
PrerequisitesTo take this course, you must be:
- 18 years old
- A PADI Advanced Open Water Diver (or qualifying certification from another training organization)
- A PADI Rescue Diver (or qualifying certification from another training organization)
- An Emergency First Response Primary and Secondary Care (or qualifying first aid and CPR training from another organization) course completion within the past 24 months.
- Have at least 40 dives to begin the course and 60 for certification
- Be fit for diving and submit a Medical Statement (PDF) signed by a physician within the last 12 months.
May 28thJune 25th
Alternate Schedules are available. (see private course package)
|Training Day 1|
|Classroom||Welcome and Introduction|
The Role and Characteristics of a PADI Divemaster
|Pool||Waterskills and Stamina Exercises One and Two|
Confined Water Skills Assessments and Developments
|Independent Study||Chapters 1 and 2 of the Divemaster Manual PADI Divemaster Video|
|Training Day 2|
|Classroom||Supervising General Diving Activities for Certified Divers|
Assisting with Students in Training
|Pool||Waterskills and Stamina : Exercises Three and Four|
Confined Water Skills Assessments and Developments
Training Exercise Two : Equipment Exchange
Diver-Rescue Assessment Confined Waterskills Assessment
|Independent Study||The Physics of Diving|
The Physiology of Diving Chapter 3 and 4 of the Divemaster Manual
Equipment : Chapters 5 and 6 of the Divemaster Manual
|Training Day 3|
|Classroom||Divemaster Conducted Programs |
Topic 10: Risk Management
|Pool||Divemaster Conducted Programs|
– Required Training Exercise Three
|Independent Study||Decompression Theory and the RDP Chapter 7 of the Divemaster Manual|
|Training Day 4|
|Classroom||Dive Theory Introduction|
Topic 5: The Physics of Diving – review and answer questions
Topic 6: The Physiology of Diving – review and answer questions
|Pool||Makeup and Remedial Training|
Internship and/or Practical Training Exercises - 1
|Independent Study||Chapters 8 and 9 of the Divemaster Manual|
|Training Day 5|
|Classroom||Equipment – review and answer questions|
Topic 8: Decompression Theory and the RDP –review and answer questions
Topic 11: The Business of Diving
|Pool||Practical Internship and/or Practical Training Exercises - 2|
|Training Week 6|
|Classroom||Furthering Your Dive Career|
|Pool||Practical Internship and/or Practical Training Exercises - 3|
|Training Day 7|
|Final Outing||Graduation Dive|
|Required Open Water Exercise||Mapping Project|
|Classroom||Positive Selling Approach.|
Divemaster Course Package $800 + Books (includes Elearning, 6 Days of Diving, 2 Two Tank Charters, DSD Internship, Two DSD Vouchers for Friends or Family, Tanks and Weights)
Private Divemaster Course Package $1000 + Books (includes a personalized schedule, Elearning, , 6 Days of Diving, 2 Two Tank Charters, DSD Internship, Two DSD Vouchers for Friends or Family, Tanks and Weights)
Divemaster Core Course Only $500 (6 Days of Diving, 2 Two Tank Charters, and Tanks and Weights)
Contact us today!
Dive Shop: 251-968-3483